- Most captains want their crewman from around June 10th to July 25th. This varies by captain.
- You will spend an average of 2-4 days getting the boat ready, fish until the captain wants to quit (be available until late July/early August), and spend 1-3 days putting the boat away. Do not ask the captain when you will be done fishing, he will tell you.
- Captains begin looking for crewmen 4-5 months before the season starts, SO MAKE YOUR POST.
- This is not a 9 to 5 desk job. Some days you may be awake for 24 hours on no sleep. Other days you may not even fish, being able to rest as long as you like. That is if there is not boat maintenance or gear to be mended.
- I shower 3-4 times a season. You may be able to shower more often, but I am worn out and would rather spend my free time sleeping. This is where baby wipes come into play.
- The weather can vary from being sunny and 75 degrees to rainy, windy, and 45 degrees.
- If it is your first time on a boat you may want to bring sea sickness pills. Some people get sea sick, some people don't.